Cassin's Finches - Arapahoe Co.

Jared Del Rosso

Jan 11, 2023, 2:58:21 PM1/11/23
to Colorado Birds
A remarkable number of Cassin's Finches were visiting trees and feeders at Chapel Hill Memorial Gardens in Centennial this morning. I counted at least 15, but the birds were moving a lot and disappearing into backyards, so I may have either undercounted or overcounted. I saw only immature / female types.

There was also a tan-striped White-throated Sparrow at the cemetery. I had brief looks at the dapper little sparrow before the bird disappeared into a yard.

I also visited the Little Dry Creek off Colorado in Centennial. Nothing unusual along the creek, but I enjoyed watching a sizable flock of robins feeding at Western Snowberries. This ended some of my wondering about this plant -- what eats these long lasting fruit. I hadn't previously taken the time to observe birds at these plants, but the fact that the berries seem to be there through summer, fall, and much of winter left me a little perplexed. I guess the berries are best sampled when withered and frosted over, time and time again.

- Jared Del Rosso
Centennial, CO