Northern Cardinal, Louisville, Boulder County

Paula Hansley

Jul 24, 2014, 2:39:13 PM7/24/14
to CObirds, Paula Hansley
Hi all,

I was inside tending to a sick ferret when all of a sudden I heard  a very familiar
song...a cardinal!  I grew up with them and see/hear them every year in North Carolina and Ohio.

But...I did not see it.  I heard perhaps 10 songs about 10 am in my backyard, then silence by
the time I could get out there.

I have large lilacs and spirea, many trees of all sizes, and a large water fall, all of which attract the birds.

I put out sunflower seeds and another feeder, so I will watch for the bird.  I mainly want to alert other Louisville Cobirders about the cardinal!

Paula Hansley
Louisville

Cheri Phillips

Jul 24, 2014, 8:49:08 PM7/24/14
to cob...@googlegroups.com, plha...@gmail.com, redstar...@gmail.com
Hi Paula,

Get well wish to your ferret. I use to have a bunch of them. They are fun furry friends.

Cheri Phillips
Centennial, CO

Steve Stachowiak & Melody Egge

Jul 25, 2014, 2:33:38 AM7/25/14
to CObirds

Cobirders,

I had a similar experience while working on a lawn project a few years ago.  I was going about my business when I suddenly realized I was hearing a Northern Cardinal in a nearby tree and then it stopped after a few calls.  I walked over to the tree and could not find the bird.  A while later it called again, this time a bit longer than the first time, but I again had no luck finding the bird.  When it called a third time, I raced over to the tree but the only bird I found was a Lesser Goldfinch.  Imagine my surprise when the goldfinch suddenly began calling like a Northern Cardinal!

Good Birding,

Steve Stachowiak

Highlands Ranch, CO