Varied Bunting, Ridgway, Ouray County

Don Marsh

Jun 23, 2020, 2:45:41 AM6/23/20
to Colorado Birds

This evening at 7 pm I saw a small dark sparrow like bird moving along the willows behind my house. Lighting was poor due to the time and cloud cover, but I noticed a red cap and the bill had a slightly curved culmen, which made me briefly wonder if I was seeing an aberrant colored cowbird.  I ran and grabbed my camera and I was able to get several underexposed photos.  Upon review, they turned out to be acceptable photos of what I believe is a Varied Bunting. Here is my eBird checklist with photos of the bird:  https://ebird.org/checklist/S70727686 . As you can see in the photos, the bird appeared to be mostly slaty blue colored with a lighter blue head and rump. It had a bright red spot on its head/nape and less noticeable red on its belly and back.  It was black around its eyes and light gray bill.   The bird vocalized as it foraged in the willows and it sounded like a "tick" call. If I'm correct, this is a yard bird, county bird, state bird, country bird and life bird all rolled into one.

Don Marsh

Ridgway, CO

Don Marsh

Jun 23, 2020, 9:49:02 AM6/23/20
to Colorado Birds

Hello all,
I know there is interest in seeing the Varied Bunting, but unfortunately it isn't a feeder bird (at least at my house).  I took down my seed feeders in May to prevent any bears from getting the wrong idea.  I'm going to put out a feeder just in case the bird returns, but it isn't a stake out bird. The thin row of willows where I saw the bird runs for only 100 yards along the ditch before they peter out, so the bird isn't hanging out in them due to insufficient cover.   I'm going to look around the neighborhood to see if I can hear the bird singing, but at this point, I assume the bird was a one day wonder. I'll keep you posted if I find it again.
Don Marsh,
Ridgway, Colorado.

Don Marsh

Jun 23, 2020, 10:25:28 AM6/23/20
to Colorado Birds

I just spent about 45 minutes birding the greenbelt where I saw the Varied Bunting last night. Sorry to report that I did not see or hear any buntings during my time.  I did find several filled bird feeders in the area, so i'll ask my neighbors to keep an eye out for the bunting.
Don Marsh
Ridgway, CO