Info for White-tailed Ptarmigan

kirkh...@gmail.com

Feb 19, 2018, 9:20:18 PM2/19/18
to Colorado Birds
Hello Colorado birders,
I'm visiting Colorado this week and I am hoping to see White-tailed Ptarmigan. On Thursday, I'll be driving from Denver to Snowmass. I've come across Guanella Pass as being a good spot to search for them, but it looks like the road to the pass is closed. Is that true? I'll have a my young kids with me, so a long trek through the snow isn't in the cards for this trip. If I can't get to Guanella Pass is there another location along Highway 70 where I could search for them? Thanks for your help!

Kirk Hardie
Incline Village, NV

Kevin Ash

Feb 19, 2018, 9:59:11 PM2/19/18
to kirkh...@gmail.com, Colorado Birds
Kirk -

I attempted to find the WTPT about 2 weeks ago on Guanella Pass.  The road to the closure/parking lot was dry and easy driving.  The road is closed about 1.75 miles from the pass, but the hike up was not bad.   If it has snowed a bunch since then, it could be difficult.  I wore microspikes with hiking boots.  Snowshoes would have been useful, but they weren't necessary.  You can check out 14ers.com for an update on the trailhead status, as it may have been updated more recently.

I found no signs of the birds around the pass nor on the first mile of the trail up Bierstadt.  I later read that they stay under the snow during the winter.  But, there are sightings on eBird not that long ago.

I'd be curious if someone could confirm that looking for them at this point is futile.  Anyone?

Kevin Ash
Colorado Springs, CO

Sheridan Samano

Feb 20, 2018, 9:06:57 AM2/20/18
to Colorado Birds
Hi Kirk,

It's true that the road all the way to Guanella Pass Summit is closed in winter requiring a hike of about 1.5-2 miles to the starting point for ptarmigan searches.  Since you're traveling with kids, it's probably not the best option since it typically takes a couple of hours of hiking without looking for the birds.  I've only seen ptarmigan on 50% of my outings so not guaranteed.  Wind can also be a major factor at those elevations.  If Loveland Pass is open the day you drive, there are reports of seeing ptarmigan near the pullouts along the pass.  That might be a better option with the kids.  Happy Birding!

Sheridan

Kevin DeBoer

Feb 20, 2018, 1:51:42 PM2/20/18
to Colorado Birds
I agree with Sheridan. Best bet for access with young kids would be to hope they're along the road, or viewable, up on Loveland Pass. The wind up there can be pretty strong, so they'll most likely be hunkered down. I haven't been up there this season, but scan any vegetation that hasn't been completely covered by the recent snowfalls. A scope can be beneficial in doing so if you have one. It's a hit or miss bird, but hopefully the young kids can keep an eye out on the way up the pass and may come up with a roadside bird!

Kevin DeBoer
Lakewood, CO

kirkh...@gmail.com

Feb 23, 2018, 11:56:40 AM2/23/18
to Colorado Birds
Hi Colorado birders,
Thanks to everyone who responded. I went up Loveland Pass today to try my luck, but it was snowing and windy so it made a hard to find bird even more challenging. Thus, I didn’t see a Ptarmigan up there today. Hoping to see some Rosy-Finches in Snowmass over the next few days.