Warbling Vireo - Centennial (Arapahoe)

Jared Del Rosso

Jul 8, 2022, 2:11:21 PM7/8/22
to Colorado Birds
Yesterday, a Warbling Vireo, singing in a Siberian Elm tree in my yard, surprised me. I'm not accustomed to them appearing locally so late in the summer. A quick search of eBird's range map and the Colorado Breeding Bird Atlas species data, though, showed me it's not uncommon at all - at least at the county level!

Funny thing about Warbling Vireos and me: I almost never recognize their songs. It always takes me long, long observations to place them. Only after hearing two, three, four in a season can I begin to hope to identify them by song.

Also around Centennial: Cordilleran Flycatchers continue in multiple locations along the High Line Canal in Greenwood Village and Centennial. I also heard a Yellow-breasted Chat, uncommon in the hyperlocal area I bird, singing from the Little Dry Creek.

Chipping Sparrows are singing from many parks and other tree-lined areas.

- Jared Del Rosso
Centennial, CO