Bohemian Waxwings- They're Back!

Noah Brinkman

Dec 8, 2023, 9:21:29 PM12/8/23
to Colorado Birds
On my way to scope some waterfowl at Stagecoach Reservoir (Routt Co.) this morning, I encountered a single waxwing that flew across the road as I drove by. I found a safe place to park and discovered a large flock of mixed waxwings with ~75 individuals. It was pretty evenly distributed, with an estimated 40 Bohemians and 35 Cedars. According to eBird data, this is one of only two BOWA observations this season in Colorado. I was able to spend some time with this flock and watched as they flew back and forth between a few Hawthornes and Aspen. It was a veritable frenzy as these birds gorged themselves on Hawthorne berries. This was easily my favorite avian encounter in months!

eBird checklist with photos: https://ebird.org/checklist/S155969982

Perhaps this flock is an indication of the winter to come. Last year while the Front Range was enjoying the irruption of BOWA, Routt experienced a "drought". I am only aware of one flock that was seen in Routt, in early March. In a typical year, I will see them around three or four times (almost always in massive flocks). Maybe my observation today is an indication of a more normal year for waxwings? Of course, this is pure speculation and only time will tell...

Happy Birding!
Noah Brinkman

Jared Del Rosso

Dec 8, 2023, 11:29:35 PM12/8/23
to Colorado Birds
How exciting!

Anyone know if Bohemian irruptions ever cross over the Rockies -- or do we tend to see irruptions on one side or the other?

- Jared Del Rosso
Centennial, CO