Type 1 Evening Grosbeak - Red Fox Meadows (LARIMER)

John Shenot

Oct 16, 2023, 2:20:06 PM10/16/23
to Colorado Birds
Yesterday (Sunday morning 10/15), on my daily dog walk, I heard an Evening Grosbeak making flight calls as it flew toward me. For once(!), I was quick enough to get a good audio recording. After reviewing the spectrograph, I concluded that it was Type 1, not the Type 4 that is expected for Colorado. Nathan Pieplow kindly reviewed my recording and confirmed Type 1. My checklist with the recording is here:

Nathan suggests we may be having an invasion of Type 1s, so here's another reminder to audio record the birds you hear!

Happy Bird-day to you all,
John Shenot
Fort Collins, CO