Likely Red Phalarope in Boulder County

Carl Bendorf

Aug 30, 2019, 4:39:49 PM8/30/19
to Colorado Birds
Peter Burke found a phalarope yesterday at Lagerman Reservoir (west of Longmont) that was tentatively identified this morning as a Red Phalarope.  The bird was still present when I left around 11:00 a.m.  The viewing location at Lagerman is from the north side near the parking lot and the bird (and most other species present) was in the west end of the reservoir.  Shore access to the west end is restricted until September 1; until you need to scope from the area around the parking lot.  I've attached a photo digiscoped through a 30X scope.

Second opinions always welcome!

Carl Bendorf
Longmont, CO

IMG_7015.JPG

Carl Bendorf

Sep 2, 2019, 1:33:47 PM9/2/19
to Colorado Birds
John Vanderpoel sent my photos to Jon Dunn who says the following: "Juvenile Red-necked Phalarope on plumage.  Full juvenal plumaged Red Phalaropes are extremely unusual in lower 48, nearly always molting.  This one is in full juvenal plumage and fits Red-necked well, and the date is good too."

So that settles that!

Carl Bendorf
Longmont, Boulder County

Bill Schreitz

Sep 4, 2019, 5:14:35 PM9/4/19
to Colorado Birds
What a great opportunity for learning here, particularly for me. Frankly, I see only the heaviness of the bill that points to REPH, but I thought for a non breeding adult, that would be a definitive feature, Aside from that, I am not clear why this bird is considered a juvenile nor what constitutes a 'fully plumaged juvenile'. Various texts show the juvenile in both species (REPH & RNPH) at least w/ dark scapulars, and coverts. I see neither on this bird. I would think then it is molting (approaching a 1st year adult) or an adult. So, is 'fully plumaged juvenile' adult?

I would like to hear why the original observer thought REPH instead of what one would expect seeing a small phalarope. Was it something other than the bill?

Thanks,

Bill

On Friday, August 30, 2019 at 2:39:49 PM UTC-6, Carl Bendorf wrote:
Peter Burke found a phalarope yesterday at Lagerman Reservoir (west of Longmont) that was REPH &tentatively identified this morning as a Red Phalarope.  The bird was still present when I left around 11:00 a.m.  The viewing location at Lagerman is from the north side near the parking lot and the bird (and most other species present) was in the west end of the reservoir.  Shore access to the west end is restricted until September 1; until you need to scope from the area around the parking lot.  I've attached a photo digiscoped through a 30X scope.