Bird Conservancy of the Rockies - Barr Banding Report, 10/3/23

meredith

Oct 3, 2023, 7:38:59 PM10/3/23
to Colorado Birds
What would have been a fairly normal first day of October any other year felt like a blockbuster; with 40 new birds today, our biggest day in 2 weeks.  More importantly, every Wilson's Warbler we caught was loaded up with fat, something we have not been seeing regularly this season.  I'm guessing today's WIWAs came from someplace different than those that had arrived earlier this season.  (The other birds seemed in good shape as well, but the lack of sufficient fat on WIWAs until today has been particularly worrisome.)

We were disappointed (but not surprised - the weather report predicted it) to get winded out on Sunday; our Sunday crew came from all directions around the metro area and Barr Lake seemed to be the only spot where the wind was blowing hard; we simply could not have safely opened the nets.  We were full up with visitors; I hope those unable to visit can find another time to come out this season!

Here's the breakdown of today's 40 new bird (there was only 1 recap):

Ruby-crowned Kinglet 1
Hermit Thrush 1
American Robin 1
Orange-crowned Warbler 1
Wilson's Warbler 13
Spotted Towhee 2
Green-tailed Towhee 2
Chipping Sparrow 1
Song Sparrow 3
Lincoln's Sparrow 2
White-crowned Sparrow, Gambel's 11
White-crowned Sparrow, Mountain 1

If you would like to visit our station, we have one-hour slots (up to 15 visitors at a time) from 7:30-8:30 most weekday mornings (Tues-Fri, we are closed on Mon) and 8, 9, and 10 a.m. one-hour time slots on the weekends.  As long as the heat continues, you are more likely to see birds if you come earlier in the morning.  Click here to make a reservation.

Meredith McBurney
Bander, Barr Lake Station
Bird Conservancy of the Rockies