Ketring Park today (empid ID help wanted)

Ben S

Apr 30, 2017, 7:36:52 PM4/30/17
to Colorado Birds
Went to Ketring Park this afternoon. Noteworthy species included a male Ring-necked Duck, Swainson's Hawk, possible Broad-winged Hawk (only seen briefly from a distance), likely nesting pair of House Wrens, and two Myrtle's Yellow-rumped Warblers, and two empidonax flycatchers. I would greatly appreciate help on the ID soon, thanks to all commentors in advance.

One (pictured below) individual I think I have identified as a Hammond's Flycatcher. The grayish-green tinge on the back, squarish head shape, long primary projection, almost all dark bill.

The other individual (pictured below) I am leaning towards Gray Flycatcher. I say this because of the gray back with only a slight brownish tinge, definite rounded head, not especially long primary projection, obvious round light eye ring, and relativly long bill with almost the bottom half orange and top blackish. I did NOT see it do the commonly cited phoebe-like tail wagging, but I didn't observe it for too long. Thoughts?

Ben Sampson
Centennial, Co

Ben S

Apr 30, 2017, 7:53:44 PM4/30/17
to Colorado Birds
Okay, so all empids species were flagged. I thought, the last April is a bit early, but May 7th or so most would not be flagged. I checked and most empids have already been reported in Colorado this year. As for Hammonds, this looks like it would be the first for 2017 in Colorado, possibly the first for April as well. But, going be the picture, it still seems the most probable.

Ben Sampson
Centennial, Co

David Tønnessen

Apr 30, 2017, 8:06:37 PM4/30/17
to Colorado Birds
Ben S,

I find myself wanting to call the first bird a Dusky due to the long tail and not so very stunningly long primary projection. Head shape, bill color, eye-ring, etc are often similar in Dusky and Hammond's.
For your second bird I am agreeing with Gray Flycatcher.