Cassin's Vireo and Veery, Sawhill Ponds, Boulder County

Paula Hansley

May 14, 2022, 2:33:17 PM5/14/22
to Colorado Birds
CObirders,
A singing Cassin's Vireo (see below) was seen and photographed in the woods just north of the Osprey platform. The song sounded burry to me but the coloration of the bird is pale, not very yellow, strongly suggestive of a Cassin's Vireo.

Just below the vireo, a Veery was moving silently, furtively through the woods!  It was only about 12' off the ground moving north.  I could not get a picture; however, I got a very good look at the bird (very few reddish spots on the uppermost breast; thrush shape).  I realize this a rare sighting.

It was a great morning!  There were many new arrivals of migrating and probable nesting species (see checklist #S110052004).

I wish I had gotten there at dawn.

Cvireo.JPG

Paula Hansley
Louisville, Boulder County

Derek Hill

May 15, 2022, 1:49:38 PM5/15/22
to cob...@googlegroups.com
The monochrome look as well as the burry song suggest Plumbeous Vireo.
Derek Hill
Loveland

Carl Bendorf

May 15, 2022, 2:01:11 PM5/15/22
to Colorado Birds
Also, on gray or pale birds, one needs to watch out for the the yellowish cast created by reflected color from green vegetation.

Carl Bendorf
Longmont