Common Gallinule at Running Deer Natural Area

marimammoser

Jul 2, 2018, 6:23:39 PM7/2/18
to Colorado Birds
I have been asked to provide more details for the location of this bird, especially for those birders outside of Fort Collins. Running Deer Natural Area is along East Prospect Road in Fort Collins. The parking lot is off the south side of Prospect Road approximately 2/3 mile west of I-25. Park in the front parking area and walk along the access road leading straight south from the gate. Look for the tall empty nest pole on the right-hand side of the access road out in the marsh. Walk until about 50 yards south of the empty nest pole and look to the south (left) of the pole and west of the pole (away from the access road) for a small open patch of water in the cattails. This patch is probably no more than 30-35 feet across I would guess. The bird seems to like the west side of this open patch of water.

Joe Mammoser
Fort Collins

Sean Walters

Jul 3, 2018, 8:40:52 PM7/3/18
to Colorado Birds
The gallinule is still being seen here at Running Deer in the previously reported location.

Sean Walters
Fort Collins, CO

John Shenot

Jul 4, 2018, 8:24:46 AM7/4/18
to Colorado Birds
Seen very briefly at 6:15am today July 4.

John Shenot
Fort Collins CO

John Shenot

Jul 4, 2018, 11:21:34 AM7/4/18
to Colorado Birds
The gallinule reappeared later this morning as well, but that's not why I'm writing. Here are some tips for chasers:
1) Bring sunscreen and a hat, and consider bug spray. There is no shade whatsoever. There are mosquitoes and biting flies but they aren't bad at all.
2) A step stool or short ladder will help if you really want to photograph this bird. A couple of feet of elevation is the difference between obstructed and unobstructed views. You'll have to carry it a few hundred yards from the parking lot.
3) Be patient and have fun chatting with other birders!

I hope Robert Beauchamp or someone with a camera (i.e., not me) will be submitting documentation to the Colorado Bird Records Committee.

Good luck,
John Shenot

Scott Somershoe

Jul 11, 2018, 8:42:40 AM7/11/18
to Colorado Birds
The gallinule has been pretty confiding over the last 20 minutes or so, spending a bunch of time in the “open” preening.
Scott Somershoe
Littleton CO

Sent from my iPhone