Sora and other birds Larimer County

COBirds

Jan 21, 2018, 6:10:35 PM1/21/18
to Colorado Birds
Yesterday did some birding around Fort Collins and found a few oddities - for this time of year.  A couple Soras were talking at River Bend Ponds Natural Area just to the northwest of the parking area off Cheryl St.  Also saw 5 Snow Geese (3 white - 2 intermediate), 5 Great White-fronted Geese, a Red-breasted Merganser female, and a Ruddy Duck at the lake across the street from Kingfisher point parking area to the north.  I was birding with Lori Pivonka.

In addition to the above, had a Cackling Goose that had a normal head and feet, but an all white body with light gray primaries. It looked like a goose that sat in a bleach bath.  It did not look like a hybrid, but may have been, more just melanistic feathers.  The most interesting goose I have seen in a long time.

Tom Hall
Fort Collins, CO