Hybrid(?) duck ID help - LARIMER

John Shenot

Nov 24, 2021, 11:47:34 AM11/24/21
to Colorado Birds
Not much traffic on COBIRDS this week so I'll share something that isn't too exciting. Yesterday I saw an Aythya duck in Fort Collins, at the pond where Drake and Ziegler roads meet, that didn't look quite right for Ring-Necked or (in my opinion) Greater or Lesser Scaup. I know some of the readers on this group enjoy identifying hybrids, so I welcome your thoughts. As usual, my digiscoped iPhone photos are crap but maybe enough for diagnosis?

If it's a hybrid, I'd also welcome any information about how common or rare this combination might be.

John Shenot
Fort Collins, CO