Eastern Larimer County 7/29

Andrew Bankert

Jul 29, 2017, 3:05:38 PM7/29/17
to cob...@googlegroups.com
Mike McCloy and I decided to skip hiking in the mountains with rain in the forecast and decided to bird a few local hotspots looking for early fall migrants.  We found a lot of birds at Duck Lake and Fossil Creek Reservoir including a Baird's Sandpiper, 2 Hooded Mergansers, a family of Wood Ducks, large numbers of the gulls of the three expected species, and a Warbling Vireo.  After that we decided it would be ok to check on a pond in Weld County along the county line road where we found a Ring-necked Duck, American Wigeon, Sora, and Least Sandpipers.  Cobb Lake turned out to be the best spot of the day with over 50 species.  Since we wanted to get as many species as possible on the eBird list, we decided to start by scanning the lake from the south parking area but were quickly distracted when a YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO started singing.  Mike got a few photos and a recording which will be posted to eBird later today.  The wildlife area had Brewer's Sparrow, a family of Northern Harriers, as well as a probable migrant wood-pewee.  One last scan of the lake before leaving produced an early Common Loon.  A few more stops for shorebirds around the northern part of the county had more Baird's Sandpipers, Wilson's Phalaropes, and a Greater Yellowlegs.  Overall, we had 94 species for the morning and I was able to get a new county bird which is always exciting!

Good Birding,
Andy Bankert
Fort Collins

Austin Hess

Jul 29, 2017, 7:33:35 PM7/29/17
to Colorado Birds
The Yellow-billed Cuckoo is still present at the shelter belt just north of Cobb Lake in the State Wildlife Area. Vocalizing very occasionally. Only got views because it flew out of the Juniper and Russian Olive trees a few times. Extremely difficult to see otherwise. Seen at about 4:20 P.M. on 7/29/17 with Nick Komar, David Wade, and John Shenot

Austin Hess
Fort Collins, Colorado