Pawnee Grasslands - WELD County

John Shenot

Jun 23, 2013, 6:25:24 PM6/23/13
to cob...@googlegroups.com
I participated in the Fort Collins Audubon Society field trip today at Pawnee National Grasslands, led by Bill Miller. Highlights included:
  • a slightly too close for comfort encounter with a prairie (?) rattlesnake
  • Ferruginous hawks (2 - on nest)
  • Burrowing owls (3 - we didn't try to find more)
  • Cassin's sparrow (1, singing and perched)
  • Grasshopper sparrow (1, singing but not seen)
  • Orchard oriole (1 - textbook first year male)
  • Loggerhead shrikes (3 - two were on a nest)
We dipped on plovers and longspurs. Too late a start, I suspect.

John Shenot
Fort Collins, CO