ID Challenge: Which Eagle?

The "Nunn Guy"

Jul 13, 2020, 3:45:27 PM7/13/20
to Colorado Birds
Hi all

Photoed this handsome and cooperative eagle in Weld County over the weekend. Thought it would offer a lively discussion for "which eagle and why?"

John Ealy

Jul 13, 2020, 5:24:17 PM7/13/20
to Colorado Birds
I'm guessing 2- to 3-year-old  bald eagle based on the  ventral view of white tail with narrow dark outer edge and irregular dark band on tail tip. Bird also has  white and dark streaks on the neck area. Cere appears to be partially yellow. Large bill. Dark eye. Sure has a full crop.

John Ealy

Jul 13, 2020, 5:25:16 PM7/13/20
to Colorado Birds
Aack. Neglected to sign off.

John Ealy
Roxborough Park, Douglas County, CO

Beverly Head

Jul 13, 2020, 9:24:06 PM7/13/20
to Colorado Birds
I am guessing that it's a young bald eagle. Partly because of the white part in the tail, but still mostly dark in the rest of its body, with the exception of some white spots in the chest.

Rick Reeser

Jul 14, 2020, 8:53:46 AM7/14/20
to Colorado Birds
Sibley's Guide has a good drawing of a 2nd year bald eagle, showing the light dark band on the end of the tail and the white on the front. That is clearly showing on photos 23 & 24.
Rick Reeser, Greeley

Michael T

Jul 15, 2020, 11:59:36 AM7/15/20
to Colorado Birds
Hatch year recently fledged Bald Eagle. Fairly uniform dark coloration. A second year bird would have worn more variation on the chest.Eye color is a consistent dark color. Feathers on the head a uniform in color.

Michael Tincher
Loveland,CO

Joe Roller

Jul 15, 2020, 12:02:15 PM7/15/20
to Michael T, Gary Lefko, Colorado Birds
Gary,
All you asked for was the species of eagle, so I'd say the large bill
is "all Bald Eagle" and never mind the plumage.

Joe Roller, Denver

Michael T

Jul 15, 2020, 12:14:50 PM7/15/20
to Colorado Birds
More importantly, the pictures that you posted say "Bald eagle".  :-)

The "Nunn Guy"

Jul 15, 2020, 1:42:32 PM7/15/20
to Colorado Birds
 Hi all

Thanks for playing all ... indeed Bald Eagle (identified as such on photos, too). I certainly picked up some new tips hope others did as well.

Thanks Gary Lefko, Nunn

raptoresse

Jul 16, 2020, 11:46:06 PM7/16/20
to Colorado Birds
Yep, I concur with Michael for all of the reasons mentioned. No yellow in cere; it's in the gape. Fresh, dark plumage, not yet faded in the Colorado sun.

~Anne Price
Littleton, Jefferson County