Ruby-throated Hummingbird in Bent County

Duane Nelson

Oct 7, 2021, 12:17:22 PM10/7/21
to Colorado Birds

Birders,

I have an immature male Ruby-throated Hummingbird visiting my feeders in Las Animas, CO today. It's been fairly reliable from 8 a.m. through 10 a.m. I have no idea if it's a short or long-term visitor. Birders are welcome to look for it.

I can note that this bird has a small ruby-colored spot in the middle of it's throat, something I couldn't capture in my photos. I'm sending some pictures that show a shorter bill relative to Black-chinned Hummingbird, and the wing tips that have pointed rather than paddle-shaped tips.

Duane Nelson

342 E. 6th St.

Las Animas, Bent County, CO

Duane Nelson

Oct 8, 2021, 9:28:12 AM10/8/21
to Colorado Birds
Birders,

The immature male Ruby-throated Hummingbird first found at my feeders in
Las Animas on October 7th is still here this morning. I have no idea how
long it will stay before migrating, but birders are welcome to look.
View from the lawn chairs near the feeders.

Duane Nelson

Las Animas (Bent County, CO)