JeffCo Hotspots Today

Kevin

May 6, 2020, 10:40:36 PM5/6/20
to Colorado Birds
While it seemed a majority of those actively birding today were previously reported birds, I enjoyed the opportunity to get out to some spots in hopes of coming across an eastern vagrant of my own.

I started the day down at Chatfield with a quick walk along the swim beach in hopes of finding some late shorebirds. The beach was empty but I came across a calling NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH as the sun was peaking over the horizon.

Stopped by the Audubon Center for a walk along the river after that, but it was very quiet. There were a couple calling Least Flycatchers, a few calling Chats and very few warblers.

After that I made a quick stop at Robert A. Easton where there is still a decent sized flock of warblers working the trees around the tennis courts. The flock consisted of 95% yellow-rumped with a few Orange-crowned.

I followed that up with a stop at Harriman Lake where I had a male BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER. The yellow-rumps at this location seem to be turning over into Orange-crowned and Yellows. I also had two male and one female Common Yellowthroat working the ditch.

A little later in the day I did a short hike along Bear Creek and came across a male BLACKPOLL WARBLER feeding among a group of Yellow-rumps.

As is typical this time of year, there are quite a few eastern warblers showing up scattered around the county.  Although the warbler flocks are hanging out in the same locations, the birds are definitely changing over, so if you have a warbler flock in your local patch it's worth checking in on it over the next few weeks to see what might join the birds for a day or two!

Kevin DeBoer,
Littleton