Bird Conservancy of the Rockies - Chatfield Banding Report, 5/29/24

meredith

May 29, 2024, 9:35:39 PMMay 29
to Colorado Birds
This will be remembered in Chatfield Banding Station history as "the day of the bear".

A slow banding morning was interrupted about an hour early by a visit from a bear.  It was first spotted (and reported to us) by some hikers a few hundred yards from the actual station.  As volunteer Joyce Commercon was on her phone, reporting the sighting to the Chatfield State Park Manager, the bear walked in through the entrance to the banding station and came toward us.  A pretty exciting couple of minutes, as we made as much noise as possible; he sat down briefly and sniffed his tummy before lumbering off up the road.  The bear was seen later, moving further south, away from our area.  Thanks to the Park Manager Kris Wahlers for being available, answering our questions, and coming over to check things out.

Only 11 new birds banded today:

Cedar Waxwing 1
Yellow Warbler 7
Magnolia Warbler 1 (after catching only 1 ever, in 2014, we have caught 2 this season.  This was the most newsworthy item of the day, until the bear......)
Common Yellowthroat 1
American Goldfinch 1

Two more days!  Taking the station down on Friday.

Meredith McBurney
Bander
Bird Conservancy of the Rockies

Sharon Kermiet

Jun 11, 2024, 4:54:42 PM (14 days ago) Jun 11
to cob...@googlegroups.com
I lost a mature tree this year and would like to replant a moderate to
large shade tree that attracts insects beneficial to birds. I'd like it
also to be somewhat resilient with regard to late or early snows,
although I know very few trees are completely OK in this regard. I live
in east Denver.  Does anyone have recommendations?

Charles Hundertmark

Jun 11, 2024, 5:00:25 PM (14 days ago) Jun 11
to Sharon Kermiet, Cobirds
We have mountain ash that we planted more than 25 years ago. I don’t know about attracting insects, but it produces abundant berries every year. These berries become edible to birds in late winter when food is really needed. Great tree for birds and it is adapted to snowy climates. It handles heavy snow very well.

Chuck Hundertmark

> On Jun 11, 2024, at 2:30 PM, Sharon Kermiet <cor...@indra.com> wrote:
>
> I lost a mature tree this year and would like to replant a moderate to large shade tree that attracts insects beneficial to birds. I'd like it also to be somewhat resilient with regard to late or early snows, although I know very few trees are completely OK in this regard. I live in east Denver. Does anyone have recommendations?

Mel Goff

Jun 11, 2024, 5:28:39 PM (14 days ago) Jun 11
to Sharon Kermiet, cob...@googlegroups.com
As Charles H mentioned, the Mountain Ash is great for birds in winter. Robins, Waxwings, and Jays come to ours to enjoy the bright orange berries.

Mel Goff
Colorado Springs

Paula Hansley

Jun 11, 2024, 5:34:31 PM (14 days ago) Jun 11
to CObirds, Mel Goff
Washington Hawthorne: this lovely tree not only has berries that birds love, but also has lovely white clusters of flowers that have a nice scent.

The only downside to this tree are the long thorns.

Paula Hansley
Louisville