Sandhill Cranes in Boulder County

Kat Bradley-Bennett

Nov 30, 2017, 3:45:16 PM11/30/17
to Colorado Birds
While cycling on the northernmost section of the Open Sky Loop Trail north of Lagerman Agricultural Preserve, I heard the unmistakable call of Sandhill Cranes. Scanning the sky, I spotted a flock of 24 circling over a field in the vicinity of Lagerman Reservoir, perhaps a bit to the west.  By the time I got to Lagerman, I could neither see nor hear the birds.

This was about 1:30 PM today. I'm headed over to N63rd now to see if I can find the birds.

Kat Bradley-Bennett
Longmont

Rolf Hertenstein, Lyons

Nov 30, 2017, 6:41:40 PM11/30/17
to Colorado Birds
While hiking at Hall Ranch west of Lyons between 1230 and 1p today, my wife (Emily) reported a similar number of cranes quite high in a thermal.

She also enjoyed close looks at a friendly Golden-crowned Kinglet.

 Rolf Hertenstein, Lyons, CO - Boulder County