Swamp Sparrow with . . . Bobcat!

David Gulbenkian

Feb 18, 2020, 10:05:39 AM2/18/20
to Colorado Birds
The Swamp Sparrow and Tree Sparrow continue along Clear Creek W. of I-70.
More exciting is the Bobcat sleeping during the day in the same area!
Hope I'm not violating any protocols of this Group, but I don't know many birders
who wouldn't be interested in this sighting.

The person who alerted me to it said it was seen hunting in the very early
morning, I think today and yesterday.

In spite of the fact that it is sleeping in the sun in a sheltered spot on the north bank, it is extremely
hard to see, partly because he's generally lying still and keeps his head in the shade.
I can't sign an affidavit that it's a bobcat, but I saw his greyish head and eyes pretty well
even though it was in the shade. and I believe I saw his stubby tail.  His body is a warm
brown, but I could not see its dimensions.

Along the top of the north bank there is a line of utility poles which ends well before the
bridge and dam to the west.  The cat was sleeping a little to the east of the third pole from the
end, not far up from the water.  To protect the animal, I won't give any more detail.
You are unlikely to see it, but the mere possibility will spice up your walk, I hope.

David Gulbenkian

Feb 18, 2020, 12:27:08 PM2/18/20
to Colorado Birds
My post was written yesterday (Monday).  Don't know if he will be back today--I didn't see him at 8 AM.
But Adrian Lakin sent me mail and a beautiful picture of him which she took Friday.