Possible ROYAL TERN - Timnath Reservoir, Larimer County, 8/27/16

Austin Hess

Aug 27, 2016, 9:31:13 AM8/27/16
to Colorado Birds
Nick Komar and I found what looked like a ROYAL TERN at the NE corner of Timnath Reservoir this morning around 7:10 A.M. It was standing next to a Caspian Tern for a great comparison. Both took off unfortunately but may still be at the lake. A Mountain Plover was also present nearby.

Austin Hess
Fort Collins, Colorado

Austin Hess

Aug 27, 2016, 9:47:36 AM8/27/16
to Colorado Birds
UPDATE: Refound both Terns at the West parking lot of Timnath Reservoir at 7:40 A.M. and got close flyby photos and audio before they flew West and away from reservoir.

Nick Komar

Aug 27, 2016, 10:21:12 AM8/27/16
to outdoorl...@gmail.com, Colorado Birds
Here is a photo (by Austin) of the orange-billed tern that gave high-pitched juvenile calls and sports a gray tail. It appeared to be following the Caspian Tern.

I can upload some distant comparison shots of the bird sitting on a sand spit is well soon.

Booth birds flew west towards fossil Creek reservoir.

Nick Komar
Fort Collins CO

image1.JPG

Nick Komar

Aug 27, 2016, 12:02:13 PM8/27/16
to quet...@comcast.net, outdoorl...@gmail.com, Colorado Birds
Here is my distant shot of the two large turns side by side.
image1.JPG

Nick Komar

Aug 27, 2016, 8:50:32 PM8/27/16
to Nick Komar, outdoorl...@gmail.com, Colorado Birds
Several folks have very politely pointed out that the candidate Royal Tern this morning in fact was a juvenile Caspian Tern, which can show a smaller, orangey bill, and a full black cap. Many thanks to them. Good learning experience for Austin and me. Apologies if anybody got overly excited due to our error.