Bird Conservancy of the Rockies - Barr Banding Report 8/31/23

meredith

Aug 31, 2023, 6:24:30 PM8/31/23
to Colorado Birds
Well, we weren't "hopping" like Chico, but we did feel like the Wilson migration began today. We captured 10 new ones, including our first adult (out of a total this season of 23).  To compare this with last year, which was a good year in terms of numbers, by this time we had captured 109 WIWAs (9 of which were adults).  Lots of thoughts about why.......

Twenty-three new birds today:

Dusky Flycatcher 1 (first of season)
Willow Flycatcher 1 (FOS)
Red-breasted Nuthatch 2
House Wren 1
Orange-crowned Warbler 1
Yellow Warbler 4
American Redstart 1(FOS)
Common Yellowthroat 1
Wilson's Warbler 10
Chipping Sparrow 1

If you would like to visit, we have one-hour slots (up to 15 visitors at a time) from 7:30-8:30 most weekday mornings (Tues-Fri, we are closed on Mon) and 8, 9 , and 10 a.m. one-hour time slots on the weekends.  Click here to make a reservation.

Meredith McBurney
Bander, Barr Lake Station
Bird Conservancy of the Rockies