Upcoming CFO Field Trip

William H Kaempfer

Sep 20, 2016, 1:10:37 PM9/20/16
to cob...@googlegroups.com

CFO Members,

Here is an upcoming CFO Trip that might be of interest to you:

Sprague's, Le Conte's, and more
Yuma County and beyond -  Saturday, Oct 8, 2016 6:00 AM - Sunday, Oct 9, 2016 9:00 PM
SAVE THE DATE! This trip is timed so as to maximize our chances for two Colorado desiderata: Sprague's Pipit and Le Conte's Sparrow. We'll start at the Fox Ranch for the sparrows, then inch ever closer to Kansas for the pipits.

Limit 12 participants; CFO members only.

Here are additional details for this trip.

1.     The trip is limited to 12 CFO member participants and 3 cars.  I will organize all participants into shared rides once we have the participants.  The three cars on the trip will then meet at a designated spot early on Saturday, October 8th to proceed out east for some great birding.

2.     Our destinations will include the private Fox Ranch (TNC) where we will explore for sparrows and other migrants including a reasonable shot for a glimpse of Le Conte’s Sparrow.  Then on to the Hale area to try for Sprague’s Pipits at “Pipit Hill”.  Finally we will continue to Wray where we will spend Saturday night. As time permits in Wray we will visit Stalker Pond, the Fish Hatchery and some or the surrounding sand sage country.

3.     My plan is to stay that night at the Cobblestone Inn in Wray and enjoy dinner at 4th and Main, a fun place for a group dinner in the heart of downtown Wray (so to speak).

4.     Sunday we will depart as soon as the breakfast schedule allows us and head into….Nebraska!  I have come to love a couple of spots in SW Nebraska—Rock Creek State Recreation Area and Rock Creek State Fish Hatchery and I think you will find the birding great there, too.  I hope not to jinx anything, but I suspect all of the participants from last year’s trip are still thinking about the 55 Greater Prairie Chickens that flushed across the road right in front of us (flushed by a Northern Harrier, not by us, I should add).

5.     From the Rock Creek area we will work our way back home with stops dictated by recent sightings.

If you are interested in joining John Vanderpoel, my co-leader, and me, please reply by email.

Bill Kaempfer

Boulder

Sent from Mail for Windows 10