Morgan County playas

Charles Hundertmark

Jun 25, 2021, 10:51:06 AM6/25/21
to Cobirds
Paul Slingsby and I birded Messex State Wildlife Area yesterday, then returned home via several Morgan County playas to see what conditions look like for shorebird migration. Water on these playas has been very low in recent years with little muddy shore and few fall shorebirds. This year, all of the playas we visited had good water. Though shorebirds were scarce yesterday, if condition hold, the playas may be good for shorebird migration the next 2-3 months. Best shorebirds yesterday were a Wilson’s Phalarope buzzing us repeatedly while woofing at us (MCR JJ near CR31) and Black-necked Stilts and American Avocets at MCRs 23 & HH. There were Dickcissels singing at many spots and Lark Buntings at several locations along the county roads.

Chuck Hundertmark
Lafayette, CO