Vertical feeding of American Dipper

Bob Righter

Oct 12, 2016, 7:29:50 PM10/12/16
to cobirds
Hi

Adding to the theme started by David Suddjian about Dippers adapting to different environments, today, Sandy and I visited the North Clear Creek Falls, located off 149, The Silver Thread Scenic Byway in Hinsdale County, Forest Road 510. Halfway up the falls we saw an American Dipper foraging on the side of the watery cliffs, darting close to and behind tumbling water, and also foraging on the algae, where the water would spill onto the ledges.

The North Clear Creek Falls is also the most accessible place in Colorado to watch Black Swifts, mostly June through August, the early morning to late afternoons or if lucky any time. At the overlook there are four informational signs, one which points out the Black Swifts' summer and winter range and how the ROCKY MOUNTAIN BIRD OBSERVATORY, with their skilled biologists, were able to strap geo-locators onto the Swifts, which eventually revealed the Swifts' winter range.

Bob Righter
Denver CO

Sent from my iPad