Neotropic Cormorant and good gulls - McKay Rd., Thornton

Greg Levandoski

Mar 21, 2019, 3:56:33 PM3/21/19
to Colorado Birds
Yesterday Chuck Aid, Michael Kiessig and I spotted a Neotropic Cormorant standing among a group of Double-crested Cormorants at McKay Road ponds, directly east of the junction of McKay Rd and E 100th Ave.  It was considerably smaller than the DCCOs surrounding it and had a very long tail.

Exact location:

Screen Shot 2019-03-20 at 10.21.19 PM.png

At the pond just SE of this junction we spotted an adult Mew Gull, among a large group of Ring-billed Gulls with a few Herring Gulls roosting on a small sandy island.

On the same island was this large Glaucous-winged-like adult gull (pink legs, gray primary tips darker than mantle) seen in the mediocre photo below (second from right, in foreground):
Screen Shot 2019-03-20 at 10.23.46 PM.png

Also seen at these ponds in the past week have been 2 Glaucous Gulls, Lesser Black-backed Gull and this interesting gull sp. that Chris Petrizzo requested help ID-ing a few days ago.  I'd be very interested to hear the community's thoughts on it as well.

Greg Levandoski
Evergreen, CO

Adam Vesely

Mar 23, 2019, 1:22:33 PM3/23/19
to Colorado Birds
Riley and Heather Morris and I are viewing the Neotropic Cormorant in the small pond east of the Elaine Valente parking lot. Good size comparison with a Double-crested. Red-throated Loon also present.

Adam Vesely
Thornton, CO

Michael Lester

Mar 23, 2019, 3:01:49 PM3/23/19
to aves...@gmail.com, Colorado Birds
Hi all,

I have the Neotropic Cormorant in the pond east of Sprat Platte fishing pond now. 3rd pond south of 104th.

Michael Lester
Littleton

Sent from my iPhone