Bewick's Wren, CSR, El Paso CO, Wed

Steven Brown

Aug 7, 2019, 6:16:25 PM8/7/19
to COBirds
Hi again COBirders,

Fall Banding at Clear Spring Ranch has started pretty slowly, with mostly local baby birds being caught so far, but there have a few migrants, especially some Yellow Warblers
carrying a good amount of fat, and today, a Hatch Year Bewick’s Wren.  I know this is not a rare species for Colorado, but noteworthy for me - this is only the second I’ve banded
at CSR since 2012, and I only saw two in 10 years at Chico Basin banding, as well.

Today’s bird was of the expected Intermountain West ssp, mostly dull gray-brown with black in the tail, and a long curved bill, and larger compared to House Wrens.

I’ll report more as soon as I catch something interesting!

Steve Brown
Colorado Springs