Rare terns (Larimer)

Nicholas Komar

Sep 16, 2018, 3:41:43 PM9/16/18
to CoBirds Rare Bird Alert
Walter Wehtje and I are studying the terns at the extreme south end of Boyd Lake near Loveland CO. We believe we have identified 1 Least Tern, 2 Arctic Tern, 3 Common Tern, 2 Black Tern, 5 Forster's Tern. Most of these are immature or juvenile. Will load descriptions and photos into EBird checklist. Access on foot from community park (Seven Lakes Park). on west side of lake. Powerful telescopes or boat needed for positive identifications.

Nick Komar
Fort Collins CO

Nicholas Komar

Sep 17, 2018, 6:29:16 AM9/17/18
to CoBirds Rare Bird Alert
Folks, I returned to the south end of Boyd Lake late yesterday afternoon with David Wade in his canoe, hoping to confirm my earlier report of Least Tern and Arctic Tern. However, we were only able to confirm Forster’s, Common and Black Terns. Photo of juv Black Tern included below.

Good birding,
image1.jpeg