Hygiene Swan--Tundra

Christian Nunes

Dec 9, 2014, 11:00:26 AM12/9/14
to CObirds List
Good morning,

I went up to see the previously reported swan at the pond north of Hygiene Rd this morning. With close study in morning light, it was apparent to me that this is just a young TUNDRA SWAN, not a Trumpeter. The bird is not all that large when compared to nearby Cackling Geese, the neck is short and thick, and the head is rounded. The facial skin between the eye and bill is not thick and jet black, but rather lightly feathered and pale. The bill is mostly pink, including the cutting edge of the bill up to the gape. The bird is dingy, but it's only 12/9, so the plumage is normal for a Tundra. I've noticed a comment or two on eBird about the bird's pointed forehead feathering. This field mark is used on adult swans only and is not at all useful on immature birds.

Photos:

Thanks,

Christian Nunes
Boulder, CO