BRANT - YES, Houts Res, Larimer

Connie Kogler

Oct 30, 2013, 9:43:21 PM10/30/13
to COBirds COBirds
Cowboy - my little red dachshund - and I, went for a nice walk around Houts today. As we were approaching the area where the Brant has been seen, I spotted it. Then I was passed by a runner that almost tripped over the Brant as it slowly scurried out of his way.

The birds kept walking to the water as Cowboy and I walked toward them staying on the trail.

Great bird. There was also the light-ish Canada and then a Very Large Goose - Canada with an injured wing with them also.

Connie Kogler
Loveland,CO
AslansOwn.com

Scott Baron

Oct 30, 2013, 10:25:16 PM10/30/13
to cob...@googlegroups.com
Hi, birders.

I, too, birded Equalizer Lake and saw the (Atlantic) Brant today (Thursday).  At 5pm the bird was on the west side of Houts Reservoir swimming with 3 Canada Geese.  I didn't see the Brant when I birded Equalizer on Monday but I did not have time to walk around Houts.  Perhaps the bird was feeding on the path, out of sight, on that morning.

On Monday I did observe an adult Lesser Black-backed Gull, I imagine this was the same bird that was previously reported.  American Tree Sparrows were present in between the trail and the marsh vegetation on the west side of Equalizer Lake on both days.  Today an first winter Harris' Sparrow was there, too.

Take care,

Scott Baron
Loveland, Colorado

Connie Kogler