Jackson Lake SP weekend - WF Ibis and W Grebes galore

Scott Somershoe

Oct 26, 2015, 10:30:04 PM10/26/15
to Colorado Birds
I took my family camping at Jackson Lake SP, Morgan Co., Sat and Sunday nights.  Managed plenty of birding while there.

Highlights:
Two dark Rough-legged Hawks along I-76 in Adams Co.

Saturday evening: Eastern Screech Owl wouldn't quit singing at our campsite.  Not that it was a problem, except for me getting sleep.  Multiple Great Horned Owls calling it up as well.

Sunday afternoon I did a hard count of Western Grebes, which were insanely numerous. The water was perfectly flat and viewing conditions excellent.  I counted in 10's when they were not mixed with ducks and gulls and counted individually when mixed up.  I counted 4850 Western Grebes.  Many were diving and feeding, so I'm sure I missed hundreds more, plus some more were around the marina spit and I couldn't see them from my vantage and they were not included.  Plus 1000+ ruddy ducks, 1000+ Gadwall, plenty of Am Wigeon and other waterfowl mixed in, 2 Common Loons (one ad, one imm), 1 adult Lesser Black-backed Gull, and a group of 95 Sandhill Cranes flew over the edge of the lake.

I'm still annoyed I couldn't find a Pacific Loon or a scoter, but there were about 12,000 waterbirds to look through and a 3 yr to entertain!

After dark the owls were going nuts again (screech perched on a snag directly over our tent, providing nice looks) and the grebes were making a lot of noise.  Flocks of waterbirds were getting up and flapping and splashing off and on, so I guess something was harassing them.  I also heard at least one Clark's Grebe's calling.

Sunday morning - dark Harlan's Red-tailed Hawk, White-throated Sparrow, and a most unexpected flyover White-faced Ibis flew by close and low and in excellent light, making a bright red eye visible. Relocated one Common Loon and the Lesser Black-backed Gull with minimal scoping.

Good birding,
Scott Somershoe
Littleton CO