Brown-capped Rosy-Finches in Telluride

Eric Hynes

Dec 1, 2016, 3:43:02 PM12/1/16
to cob...@googlegroups.com
Hello Colorado Birders:

My family and I moved from New England to Telluride at the end of the summer and I have been anxiously awaiting the descent of rosy-finches. After 21 inches of snow over a 72 hour period, I finally got my wish yesterday. When I looked out the window this morning, the swarm had ballooned.

I took a documenting photo through the window. If you are like me and enjoy honing your estimation skills, you can check out the image at: https://flic.kr/p/PdvXew and make a quick estimate.  I'll post the exact count in the comments in a couple of days.

If you are anxious to know the total, you can view my eBird checklist at: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S32809464

I carefully scanned through the flock several times and could not pick out any Gray-crowned or Black but I am sure that will change over the course of the winter. Looks like I will be going through a lot of hulled sunflower.

Good birding,
Eric
Eric Hynes
Telluride, CO
Field Guides Birding Tours

Jason Beason

Dec 1, 2016, 6:05:18 PM12/1/16
to cobirds
Regarding sightings of rosy-finches this winter (or any time of the year for that matter), please look for color bands and/or silver bands. It would be interesting to see if any of the rosies Kim Potter banded at Aspen and other locations could be re-sighted! I would really appreciate knowing if any are seen. If there are two color bands please try to notice which color is on top and bottom. That can tell us which county the bird was banded in and which year.

Thanks!

Jason Beason
Special Monitoring Projects Coordinator
Bird Conservancy of the Rockies