Prairie Merlin(?), Jefferson County

Paula Hansley

Feb 7, 2024, 5:53:13 PMFeb 7
to CObirds
CObirders,
I saw a possible adult female or juvenile Prairie Merlin sitting in a small tree located in a field at
~ 3 PM today while driving north on Wadsworth Blvd.  The bird was east of Wadsworth, north of Church Ranch Blvd., south of Hwy. 128, and southeast of Rocky Mountain Airport.

It was close enough to the highway that I could tell it wasn’t a kestrel, plus it was sitting up straight, not bent over like a kestrel; however, it was about the same size as a kestrel.

I’m posting this in case anyone is in the area.

Paula Hansley
Louisville