Quick check-in from Rocky Mountain Arsenal National Wildlife Refuge, Adams Co., Mar. 26

Ted Floyd

Mar 26, 2023, 11:16:31 PM3/26/23
to Colorado Birds
Hey, all. Enjoyed a too-quick visit this frigid Sun. morning, Mar. 26, to Rocky Mountain Arsenal National Wildlife Refuge, Adams Co. With Joe Kiesecker, Siyu Qin, and Hannah Floyd.

Lake Ladora is biblically infested with virile crayfish, Faxonius virilis, right now, and the birds are going to town on them. We saw 5 species of gulls out there, plus many diving ducks and 6 horned grebes. Also infestational were army cutworm moths, Euxoa auxiliaris, but no birds seemed to be eating them; it shall be a good ("good") summer for miller moths. Saw my first tiger beetle of the spring, an oblique-lined tiger beetle, Cicindela tranquebarica. The auto loop had a golden eagle and several bald eagles, a ferruginous hawk, and a prairie merlin. Both greater yellowlegs and lesser yellowlegs were at Lake Ladora.

Didn't have time to check out the woods and marshes, but eBird says others are finding nice stuff in those places: marsh wren, Virginia rail, "good" sparrows, etc.

Kei Sochi and I saw a turkey vulture over Arapahoe & 63rd in Boulder Co. early this Sun. evening; Kei reports that there have been vultures at the nearby Stazio ballfields & dump for close to a week now.

Ted Floyd
Lafayette, Boulder Co.