A brief belated report from Phillips and Yuma counties, 2/7

David Suddjian

Feb 12, 2022, 7:14:01 PM2/12/22
to Colorado Birds
DFO went out to the northeast to visit these two counties on 2/7, focusing on areas in the southeast corner of Phillips south of Holyoke, and the northeast part of Yuma north of Wray. Rough-legged Hawks were very common, with *27* in those two counties! and 30 for us for the whole day. I attach some nice pics by Gary Witt.

We found flocks of Greater Prairie-Chickens at Yuma Roads 54 and at Road QQ. Both flocks were in corn stubble.

Stalker Lake in Yuma had a Tundra Swan and 9 Greater White-fronted Geese, among other waterfowl. Some photos on this checklist: https://ebird.org/checklist/S102253988
I imagine this was the only notable water site with open water in the region there.

We'll be in Cheyenne and Kiowa counties next Monday, and it will be interesting to compare.

David Suddjian
Ken Caryl Valley
Littleton, CO
Rough-legged Hawk (Phillips - perched straight on).jpeg
Rough-legged Hawk (Phillips - broad wings banking closer).jpeg