Ken Caryl Valley, Jefferson 10/24

David Suddjian

Oct 24, 2015, 9:38:44 PM10/24/15
to Colorado Birds
Sparrows were my highlights along Massey Draw in the Ken Caryl Valley this morning. A Swamp Sparrow was in a patch of cattails with willows and weeds. A stunning adult Harris's Sparrow was with White-crowneds, juncos, along with my first Am. Tree Sparrows of these season in JeffCo (6 total).

A hummingbird was at my back yard feeder early this morning, but I only had a very short look as it was already flying away from the feeder. The impression was clearly of Broad-tailed, and I'd bet $20 on my impression,but not my life. All my three recent sightings since Oct 12 have been of individuals visiting the feeder early in the morning for only brief drinks, but most days I am not around after the early morning to watch for more visits.

Picking up on my recent tale of magpie and Accipiter drama, this morning it was a juv Sharp-shinned Hawk being harrassed. But this one was smart enough to just make a strong and prolonged bee line, leaving the pies in the dust.

David Suddjian
Littleton, CO