West Centennial Gull Movement (Arapahoe)

Jared Del Rosso

Feb 23, 2018, 7:25:12 PM2/23/18
to Colorado Birds
Over the last hour or so, several hundred gulls have been headed west over my Centennial neighborhood (just north of University & Arapahoe). I noted most of them while walking my dogs. I had no binoculars with me and am an absolute beginner with gulls. So all I can say is that the vast majority appeared to be Ring-billed, but there also appeared to be several larger gulls mixed into the several flocks that passed over.This happened last January (2017) as well. Then, David Suddjian noted them over Littleton too, where they seemed headed toward McClellan Reservoir. (That post here.) David picked out some very good gulls from those flocks; I could only pick out a few Herring.

Also on the walk were two, possibly three, Golden-crowned Kinglets.

- Jared Del Rosso
Centennial, CO

David Suddjian

Feb 23, 2018, 7:42:21 PM2/23/18
to Jared Del Rosso, Colorado Birds
There has been a definite increase in gull movement over Littleton, too, coincident with the cold temps and increased ice coverage on local reservoirs. So far I have only noted Ring-billed these recent days, except for a few Herring

By the way, it is a good time now to look for gulls at South Platte Park Reservoir early and late in the day as we now have ice and limited open water . I visited there early on 2/22 with rather limited open water, and saw that the White-winged Scoter continued, and two Red-breasted Mergansers were new for me there over recent weeks. I did not see the Yellow-billed Loon, but distortion was challenged to the far side, and my time was brief.

David Suddjian
Ken Caryl Valley
Littleton, CO

Message has been deleted

Ben S

Feb 23, 2018, 10:27:41 PM2/23/18
to Colorado Birds
I also saw hundreds of gulls (150+) around 5:10 PM this evening flying over near Belleview and Dayton (near NE Cherry Creek SP). Same flock?

Ben Sampson
Centennial, Co