Chatfield SP (Douglas/Jefferson), Ken Caryl Valley (Jefferson)

David Suddjian

Oct 21, 2014, 1:41:21 PM10/21/14
to Colorado Birds
An adult Mew Gull was at Chatfield reservoir this morning in the South Platte arm of the lake. When I saw it from the old heron overlook it was resting amid a large grebe flock, and then flew up and around and I was not able to determine where it ended up. Probably still around there somewhere, though. A Red-necked Grebe was hugging the edge of the dam, being underwater more than above. A Northern
Shrike was in the Marina sand spit area. I enjoyed a Townsend's Solitaire singing at the old heron overlook parking lot. A Say's Phoebe was at the Swim Beach.

A Golden-crowned Kinglet was down out of the forest heights at Massey Draw in Ken Caryl Valley, foraging in junipers and oaks with some Yellow-rumpeds. Stragglers or other migrants in the area there were 1 Gray Catbird, 1 Green-tailed Towhee, 1 Say's Phoebe, and 1 Lincoln's Sparrow. Mann Reservoir at South Valley Park had returning Buffleheads and Hooded Mergansers.

David Suddjian
Littleton, CO