Ken Caryl Valley, Jeffco 8/12

David Suddjian

Aug 12, 2017, 10:54:06 PM8/12/17
to Colorado Birds
I like to seek birds at Massey Draw beside my home as often as I can each week (sorry, no public access). There is - nearly without fail - something interesting to be found, some days better than others, of course. Today was very quiet. But a prize was a Loggerhead Shrike, the first for my immediate home area. It was perched atop a cottonwood snag and then it flew off to the south -- perhaps migration in action. The species is a rare fall migrant at Ken Caryl Valley. I had four sightings in the valley in the past three years, all from Aug 12 - Sept 9, so today's shrike fits that pattern.

An Eastern Phoebe was along Valley Road near Ken Caryl Ave. This species is also rare at Ken Caryl Valley.

I stopped at a string of spots around the hogbacks this evening and there was a decent showing by Great Horned Owl (12), Common Poorwill (3), and Common Nighthawk (4).

David Suddjian
Ken Caryl Valley
Littleton, CO