Clear Creek Nor. Waterthrush and Eastern Kingbird 8-27

David Suddjian

Aug 27, 2019, 8:14:29 PM8/27/19
to Colorado Birds
Today I was accompanied by Lynne Miller and Dale Pate on a foray up to Clear Creek County. The Bard Creek Road area near the ponds, south of Empire, had a Northern Waterthrush (no other eBird records for the county; we were able to obtain a recording of the call), an Eastern Kingbird (eBird shows 2 spring migrant records for county, but none from fall migration), and many other species including scads of Violet-greens massed there in migration. Nearby Empire was quite birdy, with Evening Grosbeaks, Cassin's Finches, Bullock's Oriole (no other Aug records in eBird), Green-tailed Towhee, and of course, Red Crossbills. Crossbills of Types 2 and 5 were widespread in small parties, with Type 2 more frequently encountered.

Waterbirds were few, as expected. At Bard we noted Great Blue Heron, Green-winged Teal, Mallard, kingfisher, and Spotted Sandpiper. Echo Lake had an eclipse male Nor. Shoveler, Mallard, and the continuing Barrow's Goldeneye female and brood, now reduced to 3 two-thirds-grown ducklings (I counted 5 young on 8/6).

David Suddjian
Ken Caryl Valley
Littleton, CO