Breeding Bird Survey routes available in Colorado

David Suddjian

May 16, 2024, 8:11:54 PMMay 16
to Colorado Birds, David Suddjian
Colorado Birders,

The North American Breeding Bird Survey (BBS) is our continent's premier long term bird monitoring program. There are many active BBS routes in Colorado, and right now 35 routes are open for a new observer. Open Routes are listed below, and you can view the vacant routes and some details for each at the BBS's Vacant Routes page. Choose the state and find the route. You can choose to show the route on the map, and view route details including species recorded on the route in prior years.

Many open routes are in interesting areas of Colorado, and some are near to the Denver area. If you wish to sign on, your survey materials will be sent promptly. Routes are surveyed in the window of May 27 to July 7. So the season is upon us.

If you are an experienced BBS surveyor and would like to add a new route, great. If you would be new to the BBS, conducting these surveys requires significant field ID skills (especially by ear), and familiarity with the birds that live in the region. And the BBS is looking for a minimum of a three year commitment to survey the route. You should be able to identify the species known to be along the route by sound; that is, you, and not Merlin ;-)  You can view the list of species for each route. And be ready for the energetic commitment and time needed to perform the survey, which might include distant driving to and from the route on additional days. A scouting day is usually also needed for a new route.

I'd be happy to talk about what is needed and how to prepare with anyone who is interested. I've been a BBS surveyor since 1992 and it is the best part of my birding year. I have multiple routes that I survey in Colorado, and there are many other surveyors, too, working behind the scenes and loving it. I think all strong Colorado birders who can make the time commitment should consider being a BBS volunteer surveyor. You will learn a lot, too.

David Suddjian
BBS Colorado state coordinator

Available Colorado Routes for 2024

Route # Route Name County