Littleton and Ken Caryl Valley 9/27-28

David Suddjian

Sep 28, 2017, 7:51:27 PM9/28/17
to Colorado Birds
In the early evening yesterday 9/27 there was a flock of about 40 Spizella sparrows at the Littleton Cemetery. They were hard to view as they flew up into the trees, but of the 13 I managed to study, all 13 were Clay-colored Sparrows! A flock was in the same area this morning 9/28 and today the flock had about 60 sparrows. This time I was able to view more of the birds, and I counted/estimated 19 Chipping Sparrows (75% HY), 14 Clay-colored Sparrows, 1 Brewer's Sparrow and 25 or so Spizella sp.  On 9/27 there was a Golden-crowned Kinglet at the cemetery, and on 9/28 there was a Mountain Chickadee, a Hairy Woodpecker (Rocky Mtn form), and three fly-over Pine Siskins - all good birds for the immediate area along So. Prince St.

Ay Ken Caryl Valley on 9/27 I had 4 Evening Grosbeaks fly over near my home. Today my yard still has multiple Broad-tailed Hummers, as well as 1-2 Rufous and 1 female Black-chinned Hummer. The latter is uncommon for my yard, and this individual is very confiding.

David Suddjian
Ken Caryl Valley
Littleton, CO