Black Tern and Chimney Swifts (Jefferson), Red Crossbill (Arapahoe)

David Suddjian

Aug 30, 2014, 10:45:32 PM8/30/14
to Colorado Birds
On Aug 28 a lone Red Crossbill flew over St Mary Catholic Church along Prince Street in Littleton (Arapahoe), heading north and calling all the way. The calls were of the Type 2 Ponderosa pine form.

On Aug 29 I made my first visit to Hine Lake in Robert A. Easton Regional Park, off the end of West Coal Mine near West Bowles (Jeffco). Low clouds and a smattering of rain had brought a moderate number of swallows down low over the lake. They were mostly Barn, but among them were two Chimney Swifts, apparently a decent find for JeffCo based on few eBird entries.

Late today Aug 30 a Black Tern was at the JeffCo corner of the South Platte Reservoir. It winged around right in the corner there for a time and then went south across C470 toward Chatfield Res., where I technically was able to add it to my Douglas Co list as it went south to the dam and then I lost it from view. South Platte Reservoir was otherwise nearly bird free.

David Suddjian
Littleton, CO