4 falcon commute, and some snowy yard birds (Jefferson)

David Suddjian

Dec 28, 2014, 10:09:05 PM12/28/14
to Colorado Birds
Driving to work this afternoon (Dec 28) on C470 I passed a Merlin near Ken Caryl Ave, an American Kestrel flew over near Kipling, a Prairie Falcon was perched on a pole near Wadsworth, and a juv. Peregrine Falcon flew over near South Platte Reservoir! Maybe if I kept going I'd have added a Gyr, but I exited at Santa Fe and now I'll never know.

The snowfall on Dec 26 made for very birdy conditions around my home at Ken Caryl Valley. A Red Fox Sparrow joined others at my front yard feeding station, seen with a Harris's Sparrow. A Lesser Goldfinch was notable for winter. Cassin's Finches were fairly numerous, with 16 as a high count for me. The most exciting was an adult Northern Goshawk that was haunting the neighborhood, perching nicely for a little while, and otherwise seen flying over. I did not see these rarer birds on Dec 27, but an Evening Grosbeak flew over.

David Suddjian
Littleton, CO