Common Redpolls (Boulder County)

Carol Kampert

Feb 21, 2018, 3:36:06 PM2/21/18
to Colorado Birds
Last Sunday, Feb. 18, three of us were thrilled to observe about 20 to 25 Common Redpolls in the shrub/ewill area next to the road between Nederland  and El Dora.  Starting at 10:30 in a freeziing wind, we spent half an hour observing them foraging for seeds on the ground, periodically flyiing up into the shrub branches when a Steller's Jay appeared or when we made a sudden move.  The were still there when we decided to leave.  Unfortunately, we didn't get a photo of these beautiful, hardy red-capped visitors from the north who seemed unfazed by wind gusts of up to 50 mph.

Happy winter birding, Carol Kampert