Migration Weather: Sunday Forecast

Bryan Guarente

Sep 26, 2020, 10:39:08 AM9/26/20
to Cobirds
COBirders,
It looks like Sunday morning should bring some stronger turnover of birds with a concentrating wind pattern into the Front Range of CO from Boulder south through Pueblo right up against the mountains/foothills.

There will likely be turnover occurring in the rest of eastern CO, but no major convergence of winds aside from along the front itself as it passes your location.  Expect turnover with no specific concentrations of migrants.

When the second cold front comes through on Sunday, expect the pattern to change to more of a pass-through event instead of concentration and stopover.  So get out earlier rather than later to find what you can along the Front Range.

Report what you see, no matter how significant or insignificant.  All data is good data, even null events.

Best of luck out there.
Bryan

Bryan Guarente
Meteorologist/Instructional Designer
UCAR/The COMET Program
Boulder, CO

Donna Stumpp

Sep 27, 2020, 1:19:09 PM9/27/20
to Colorado Birds
I have to share how dramatic the change in bird numbers and number of species present was this morning at Standley Lake's Loon Lake (on the northeast end of the Standley Lake Open Space in Jeffco). Loon Lake has had species counts under 10 for many weeks. This morning I had 17, including a juvenile Cedar Waxwing! I bird this pond several times a week and have never seen one here before. Also, the sheer number of birds was about 8-10x higher than it's been in a long time and there was a tremendous amount of singing and activity. It was so fun!

I finally dragged myself away and moved on to the north shore, where I found a Tennessee Warbler - lifer! Not quite the dramatic increase in birds on the norht shore as at Loon Lake, but still a good variety. Location details and photos of the TEWA are in the eBird checklist

Thank you so much for sharing these weather events with CO Birds.

Donna Stumpp
Westminster, Jeffco

Bryan Guarente

Sep 27, 2020, 5:49:35 PM9/27/20
to donna....@gmail.com, Colorado Birds
Thank you Donna for the report. This kind of information is really great to hear about. Knowing the shift in species numbers as well as individual numbers is very good to know. Congrats on your lifer.

The difference in the change from the south side of the lake to the north side might be meteorologically driven. It can depend on the wind direction, but not always. The habitat can also play an important role.

Thanks
Bryan

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/990ecc8d-51ee-4213-a1c0-22a4be276e9eo%40googlegroups.com.