Short-lived burst of overnight birds

Bryan Guarente

Sep 2, 2014, 12:23:12 AM9/2/14
to Cobirds
Checking the radar right now, there is a minor front passing that has some birds on it.

As that east-west green line passes from northeast to southwest or north to south depending on how close to the mountains you live, there are birds on that front.  You can hear them calling when the front passes.  Go out and listen if you are still awake and the front is getting close to you.  The image updates every 7 minutes and is "real-time".

See what you hear.  I had at least 10 individuals in 8 minutes.  Going back out for a quick listen.  After the front passes, don't expect to hear too much.  The concentrations will be way lower after the passage.

Bryan Guarente
Instructional Designer/Meteorologist
UCAR/The COMET Program
Boulder, CO

Ted Floyd

Sep 2, 2014, 9:53:56 AM9/2/14
to cob...@googlegroups.com
Hi, everybody. Thanks to Bryan Guarente for the great "continuing education" about birds and weather. For example, this recent article in CFO's journal, Colorado Birds:

I listened and recorded a bit in the late 4am - early 5am this morning, Tuesday, Sept. 2nd, and the late-night flight over Lafayette, eastern Boulder County, was strong. There were several 10-15 second pulses when birds were going over at a rate of about 2 flight calls per second, then silence for 3-4 minutes, then more heavy calling.

Hard to say what they all were. Chipping Sparrows, Vesper Sparrows, Wilson's Warblers, and others. Heard a few high, fine buzzes that suggested Ammodramus to me, but that's just speculation. No Yellow Warblers or Lincoln's Sparrows that I could discern, which seemed a bit odd.

Best of all: Not really rare, but it was wonderful to hear a big ole flock of Baird's Sandpipers, winging their way through the moonlit night sky.

Ted Floyd
Lafayette, Boulder County, Colorado