Possible Eastern Wood-pewee (Boulder county: northeast Boulder)

Bryan Guarente

Oct 1, 2018, 1:19:42 PM10/1/18
to Cobirds
I had the good fortune of a wood-pewee showing up outside my office window this morning (3085 Center Green Drive, northeast Boulder).  Took some poor digibinned photos (in linked checklist below).

I found this bird to lean more towards Eastern than Western Wood-pewee.  Because this is an immature bird, I am hesitant of the colorations since it is a hatch-year bird.
  • Strong buffy wingbars of equivalent brightness to each other.
  • Long primaries compared to tail.
  • Coloration of back and head seemed more brownish (dirty) than grayish (rather than ashy).
  • Vested look is much more like Olive-sided Flycatcher than the washed out Western Wood-pewee I am used to. This individual showed a distinct open-vested look with an obvious white stripe down its chest.
  • When viewed from below, the undertail coverts seemed more yellowy, and less smudged than I have seen previously with Western Wood-pewee.
  • Maxilla dark.
  • Mostly yellow mandible (70-80%).
  • Eyering.
  • Crested look at times.
  • No tail flicking.
Bird still present as of 11:10am.
Along the railroad tracks west of Center Green 2 (3085 Center Green Drive).

Here is my eBird checklist if anyone needs to see the photos.

Feel free to refute this claim as well as this would be a first for me in terms of differentiating.  Seen plenty of both species, just never found one in the "others territory".

Bryan Guarente
Meteorologist/Instructional Designer
UCAR/The COMET Program
Boulder, CO